Ingress Protection, abbreviated as IP, generally composite a two digit number as specified in Australian Standard AS60529-2004.
AS60529-2004 objective is to give the following:
- Degrees of protection definition as provided by enclosures of electrical equipment concerning:
- How a person is being protected against access to hazardous parts inside the enclosure;
- How an equipment inside the enclosure is being protected against ingress of solid foreign objects;
- How equipment inside the enclosure is being protected against harmful effects due to ingress of water.
- Degrees of protection designation.
- Each designation requirements.
- Conduct tests to verify that the standard requirements are being met by the enclosure.
The ratings are written as IP followed by the 2 digit rating.
The first digit represents the degree of protection against ingress of solid objects, from zero means ‘no’ protection and 6 being the highest level of protection against dust ingression.
The second digit represents the degree of protection against water ingression, from zero meaning ‘no’ protection and 8 for total immersion.
The standard defines additional letters that can be supplemented to classify only the level of protection against access to hazardous parts by persons:
Further letters can be supplemented to provide additional information related to the protection of the device:
To find out more about these IP Ratings and how Jehbco can help you determine solid silicones that pass the standards, browse the website and Contact Us right here.