The Strengths & Common Use of Silicone in Food Processing:
Silicone rubber is widely used in food processing from home to industrial-scale cooking. The properties of silicone make this polymer material ideal for food applications. Silicone combines the following properties:
- The ability to withstand extremely high and low temperatures (from -60°C to + 200°C) for extended periods of time
- Chemical resistance and compatibility
- Suitability for contact with dry, aqueous and fatty foods
- High quality and long-lasting product
- Safety, as the levels of volatiles and extractable particles rejected are low
Jehbco Silicones has provided custom made silicone solutions for the last 40 years and aims to keep providing high-quality products to the food industry. All food-grade silicone produced by Jehbco uses U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved materials and follows FDA standards. All food grade products made by Jehbco are thoroughly post-cured to further decrease levels of extractables.
Additionally, Jehbco can make silicone food grade heat stable products using a specially designed additive. This increases the extreme temperatures that silicone can withstand from 200°C to 300°C.
Furthermore, Jehbco has recently researched and developed a platinum sponge which meets food grade requirements of FDA. Platinum food grade sponge made by Jehbco has the following advantages:
- The ability to withstand extreme high and low temperatures (from -40°C to + 200°C)
- Low density (400-650 kg m-3)
- Low compression deflection (92.4 kPa, 13.4 psi)
- Low hardness (20 Shore A)
- Excellent compressibility (9%)
Food grade silicone products are used by a wide range of industries including oven/refrigeration, milk and dairy, meat processing, powder containment/transport, beverages, and food packaging etc. For example, some of Jehbco’s products are used in-line for some of their processes such as conveyors and others are used in batch processes such as fermentation vats.
Similarly, a wide range of food-grade silicone products can be produced:
- Seals: commonly used for ovens, refrigeration units, powder containment/hoppers, and blenders. The majority of seals sold by Jehbco are corner-joined or butt-joined for sealing application, but Jehbco can also provide custom made O-rings for sealing applications.
- Inflatable gaskets: used for a number of applications, from sealing of machinery to in-line support of food products (e.g. some of Jehbco’ inflatable gaskets are used to hold ice-cream cones in place during production).
- Sheets: often used for heat/vibratory insulation
- Tubing: often used for fluid transfer, pumping application